Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Boom!

We've all seen lots of posts by many dog trainers about how dogs and fireworks don't mix. Common sense, right? Compression shirts, drugs, natural calming remedies, distraction - all of these work for different dogs. None worked for my last Boston Terrier, Ceilidh, but then, she was "special," and a subject best discussed later. The point here is, do what works for you and your dog!

I know that Tango doesn't really care about fireworks or thunder. If something is particularly loud, he'll pick up his head and look at me. If I don't react, he won't react. But, believe me, sometimes it's hard for me not to react! I jump at thunder, at movie explosions. For my dogs, though, I try! It will certainly be interesting to see Booker's reaction to fireworks. This will be his first Fourth of July celebration. Hopefully he'll take a cue from his "brother" and sleep through it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment